Friday, November 11, 2011

One Lady, A Parasol and A Pony.

#7 - Debbie Zukerman [Actor: Mercedes]

I think producers are up there with psychiatrists and air traffic controllers. For 5 months I kept having conversations with Kate where her voice would go up and up and up as she explained the latest outrageous miscommunication, or location that had fallen through at the eleventh hour. Every week something happened.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.


About a year ago I was at a party and David Hawkins asked me if I'd like to be in an experimental Alice-in-Wonderland-esque no-budget film where all the dialogue is improvised on set. So I said yes. It's not really Wonderland-esque, but back then, before another 15 incarnations, that's what it sounded like.

I was in a major rut at the time. I'd come home from studying in New York and Paris, was severely underemployed, and had a stress rash all over my hands and my hair was falling out. Then BLUE walked into my life and my hair grew back. While Kate and Dave's hair fell out.

I spoke to Dave quite a bit over the next few weeks, listening as Mercedes went from frustrated writer slash bar tender to insecure nymphomaniac, and finally settled on being grief and guilt stricken. My background was in comedy, so all this darkness was a refreshing change.

Dave wrote a scene breakdown and it became apparent that about 50 actors would be needed. So this is a film filled with my buddies. Silvina (Mirrim in the flashback) really is one of my best friends, and I studied with the super spunky Hannah (Poppy) in New York. Such a pleasure to work with people you already have a connection with.

It might be time to throw the baton back to David so he can rant on about the epic casting of this little film, in the next tear-soaked episode of Making Of Bound By Blue (also known as - If You Don't Answer They Can't Tell You The Bad News).

No comments:

Post a Comment