Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Knocking on Barnum's Caravan

#2 - Kate Talbot [Producer]

Now if Dave had actually been listening to me he would have heard me say, “I’m nearly finished doing pre production prep on the latest two short film scripts you’ve sent me”.
Producing is so Smurfy

It was at this point David mumbled “Yeah… I’ve been thinking. Let’s put them aside for now… I have a bigger and better idea bubbling away (he may have even used the word crazy, but that part escapes me now). I’ll give you a call in a week.”

So I waited… and waited. And four weeks later I finally picked up the phone and demanded to know what this amazing new idea was. 

Perhaps all the waiting had made me a little desperate for production action because when David said “I have no money but I want to make a feature that uses a different location for every scene, shoots every second night over a two-month period and (wait for it) is all improv acting” my enthusiastic response was “Great! When can we start?”  

The initial concept was simple enough; a “buddy” film, set in Melbourne and starring Chester who was already on-board. David was fascinated by the “unseen-side” of Melbourne and wanted to explore this in the film, working Melbourne in as the third character.


Little did I know (foolishly, as I’d worked with David before and I knew that when he gets an idea into his head he’s like a pit-bull at a burglar’s leg) that I was embarking on an all consuming project that would see the next 9 months engulfed by 18 hour days and LOADS of logistical conundrums… 

Why don't I get David to fill you in on what happened in those 4 weeks of scheming silence? Check it out in the third episode of Making Bound By Blue (also known as - My Mother Always Said That Yodeling Was My Future).

No comments:

Post a Comment