Monday, September 26, 2011

Where's The Other Siamese Twin Gone Now?

#3 - David Hawkins [Director/DOP]

So you want to know what happened in the four weeks where I went AWOL? I think I went insane.

It started out just fine. I took an old idea and expanded on it - Chester meets the girl of his dreams the previous night and now sets out on a mission to find her. Kind of 'Dude Where's My Car' meets 'Alice In Wonderland'. Every scene is a new location, a new support character and a brief quirky encounter.

I was liking the possibility of this being achievable with no budget until Chester suggested that we would have trouble finding a great female actor for no money. However he had a solution... he had already talked to a good friend of his who wanted to get involved. And this friend was male.

Part of my process was a simple rule; if it is offered then embrace it.

And so I began redrafting my treatment to be a buddy picture with two male leads. There were many variations: two guys after the same girl for love, two guys after the same girl but one wants to kill her, two guys after the same girl but one turns out to want the other guy.... You can see that I was veering dangerously into 'Days Of Our Lives' territory.

I also realised that these stories were not really very 'me'. I tend to watch films that have something different, something niche about them. And then I had the idea that the girl was in fact an alien visitor; Chester was searching for her as he believed that she was the girl of his dreams and the other male character was an alien hunter who wanted to capture her to make his scientific career.

Granted it still sounds kinda tacky but it got me excited. I like aliens. And it had the edges of those 80's flicks that I love so much.

With this finally solved I realised that for all of the rewriting I did not yet even know who this mysterious 'other male' cast member was.

This time we're going to be cheeky and let the secret actor himself, Chester, talk to you in the fourth stunning instalment of Making Bound By Blue (also know as - Please Leave Your Sanity With The Doorman).

No comments:

Post a Comment