Saturday, September 17, 2011

How Much Does a Big Top Cost?

#1 - David Hawkins [Director/ DOP]

Would you like to be privy to the harrowing tales of how a trio of insane optimists set out to make a no-budget independent feature film with over 50 cast, 100 extras, 50 crew and 30 locations? A blow-by-blow account (how else do you think we could have pulled it off?) (excuse the double innuendo).

Beginning right now let me weave you a tale of heroes and villains, of desperate banditos and us, the begging paupers. And I will begin this epic journey at its humble beginning.

I was watching a film. An expensive film. A repeatedly funded film. An abhorrent film. Now I will not name the beast, but it is enough to say that two and a half hours of not funny romantic comedy could melt even the most avid film buffs belief in the magic of storytelling.

So I cracked it.

I told everyone who asked exactly what I thought of the film, and very quickly people stopped asking, "If that film had been dragged to life by the sheer no-budget determination of the filmmakers trying to get a voice in the world, then I would give them a standing ovation. But to create such uninspired and poorly produced crap when you have money and support being handed to you is unforgivable."

Believe it or not my wife got a little sick of hearing this over and again, particularly when I would add "I could make a better film than that without any support."
And so she told me what she thought of my opinions, "Then do it. Stop complaining and do it."

"A challenge" I thought. This was a suggestion that my wife was soon to regret voicing.

Also attending the aforementioned event was one of Australia's newest heart throbs (unable to be named at the moment... let's call him Chester for now). And he had also had to put up with my negative droning all night long. I surprised Chester a few days later with a phone call. The call began with these simple words, "I've got a favour to ask..."

Having gained his optimism and enthusiasm (Chester is a bubble of joyous energy!) I was spurred to make the next and vital call. I dialed the number of my ever-suffering Producer, Kate Talbot.

"Hi Kate. What's up? Uh huh. Look I'm not really listening, but boy do I have a question to pose to you that is going to change your world..."

I'll let Kate tell you what transpired next, in the soon-to-follow second episode of Making Bound By Blue (also known as - How We Came To Lose Our Minds, Hearts, Dignity and my Subaru 4WD).

No comments:

Post a Comment